Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Jennifer Higdon: New Opera

Jennifer Higdon will write her first opera, to be premiered in 2013. This commission by the San Francisco Opera was announced there yesterday.

From an interview we did at Curtis: "In a given year, I'll turn down on average 20 commission offers, but what I do is, I figure out which ones feel like they resonate within me, where I feel like I can actually write something that will work. Sometimes, I'll ponder the possibility, like I was asked once to write something for tap dancer and juggler and orchestra, and I thought, well, you know, I think I'll pass on this. I'm like how... what do you do for jugglers anyway? I can't figure this out. It was kind of an odd sort of request, but someone had an idea somewhere, I hope they found someone to write that."

The librettist is Gene Scheer, but no subject has been announced yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment